Sunday, April 29, 2012

Competition makes me ugly

It's hard to write about your weaknesses and be open about your faults. But my full expose of sin is on display during any & all games of competition. Even silly games that do not matter a hill of beans-- I want to win. I want to beat everyone else, come in first, and win! My motto has always been- Second place is the first loser. That is so sad, really. I'm not sure why I get like this. It is as if some sort of alien takes over my thoughts and actions.

When I get anxious during competitive events, I find myself going on & on, talking & talking. I say the stupidest things. I talk about things that don't matter. I share too much personal information and the whole time am thinking, "Shut up, Leigh! Just stop talking!"

When I feel like someone is wrong or the rules aren't being followed, I get irate! I find myself arguing with people, demanding fairness & equality, and becoming angrier and angrier until my point is heard. For what? What is the result?
Usually I wind up mad at my family or they are mad at me, not to mention embarrassed, as well. All over a game. To detail my sin would shame me & make most blush. I do not act like a lady during these alien invasions, much less a Christian. When it's all said and done, the conviction and regret begins to seep in. By the next day, I'm full of apologies & remorse. The damage is done. I've not represented my God or myself with honor and I can't go back to change it. Yet time and time again I find myself falling down in this sinful behavior. Why? I wished I knew.

An old hymn comes to mind while the devil parties over my ridiculousness:
"Grace, Grace, God's Grace. Grace that will pardon and cleanse within.
Grace, Grace, God's Grace. Grace that is greater than all our sin." Thank you Lord. Please forgive me of my sin & give me strength for my next test.

No comments:

Post a Comment